At School Specialty, we are committed to delivering only the highest quality merchandise ON TIME and ACCURATELY. We understand however, that unforeseen situations may occur and you may wish to return merchandise back to School Specialty. Please note that different product lines have different requirements, so we ask that you review the following policies in order to make this process go as smoothly and quickly as possible.
1. Supplies and AV Technology Products
Most AV Technology products are covered by a Manufacturer’s Warranty. Please refer to the rules and policies of the individual Manufacturer’s Warranty for satisfaction.
School Smart, Sax, Sportime, Abilitations, and Childcraft (non-Furniture) Items
If for any reason you are not satisfied with your School Smart, Sax, Sportime, Abilitations, or Childcraft (excluding Childcraft furniture) items within 1 year of purchase, we will replace the items.
Unused merchandise, in sellable condition, not meeting your satisfaction may be returned in its original or equal quality packaging within 30 days of the receipt of your order.
- If you require a return due to our error or a manufacturer’s error such as a duplicate order, duplicate item or an incorrect item, we will pay any return shipping costs and no restocking fee will apply. If a duplicate order or product is not reported, you will be billed for it.
- If for any other reason, an item is being returned after 30 days, you will be required to pay the cost of return shipping and a restocking fee.
- Most items will be subject to a 15% (25% Canada for U.S. suppliers) restocking fee.
2. Furniture & Equipment Returns
To ensure your satisfaction with the many furniture products that we offer, we highly recommend that you work with one of our expert furniture specialists to ensure that you get the right product to satisfy your needs. For assistance in finding your dedicated local furniture expert, please contact us at 1-888-388-3224 (1-866-519-2816 for Canada). These special requirements apply to product returns for furniture or equipment:
- A manufacturer’s return authorization is required.
- Restocking fees will be charged in accordance with the Original Manufacturer’s Warranty and Return policy or a minimum of 20% (30% for Canada for U.S. suppliers).
- You will also be required to pay the cost of return shipping.
- If your item is defective, it may be covered under a manufacturer warranty however a manufacturer return authorization is required and all return requests for defective products are administered based on the Original Manufacturer’s Warranty Policy, subject to the rules of the manufacturer.
- Manufacturers may consider a “user-assembled” product nonreturnable once assembled, even if it is disassembled for return.
Custom Furniture Returns
Custom designed furniture built to your specifications is nonreturnable, unless it is defective or not built to your specifications. This may include products made to order with nonstandard fabrics, laminates, wood finishes, paint finishes, changes in dimensions or other alterations which deviate from the manufacturer standard design or offerings.
Cancellation of Furniture Orders
If you place an order for a custom item, and cancel it after 48 hours, you will be charged 30% of the order cost for those items.
To request a return, just follow these easy steps:
- Contact Customer Care at 1-888-388-3224 (1-866-519-2816 for Canada) or submit a request to School Specialty within 30 days of shipment to request an authorization number. Product returned without authorization, additional items not part of the original authorization, or products arriving in an unsellable condition will not be eligible for credit and products will not be shipped back to the customer.
- Repack items in the original shipping carton.
- Include a copy of your packing list, invoice and details about what you are returning.
- Include order and PO numbers for proper credit.
While we take extra care in ensuring that products arrive in excellent condition, occasional damage during shipment can occur. It is your responsibility to fully inspect your merchandise when it is delivered:
- You are responsible for inspecting your merchandise when it is delivered. If there is excessive damage or the shipment is incorrect, notate the delivery receipt with specific details, locate your order number and call customer care at 1-888-388-3224 (1-866-519-2816 for Canada).
- If you signed for your order and later find that you have a problem with damage or an incorrect shipment, you must contact us within 5 days of receipt. If you wait beyond this period to inform us, we cannot be held responsible for damages or incorrect shipments and you will not receive credit.
Important Tips for receiving your order
- Count your cartons and sign only for those received. If you experience a shortage, note it on your packing slip and call our Customer Care Advocates.
- Occasionally, delivery drivers do not allow enough time for you to inspect the shipment, or the order is delivered while you are not there. If the driver does not allow time for inspection of the shipment, it should be signed for, by you or a designee, noting "damaged" on the bill of lading.
- Immediately inspect for external and internal/concealed damage. If you notice damage, keep merchandise and shipping cartons and notify Customer Care within 48 hours after you have received your shipment (Carriers will not honor claims if it has been more than 48 hours since your shipment has been received).
- Locate your packing list.
- Open “mixed” cartons, being careful to prevent discarding smaller items or hardware along with packing materials.
- Record any errors on the packing list and call
Customer Care at 1-888-388-3224
(1-866-519-2816 for Canada) with discrepancies.