Pop-Art Heart Card
Turn a simple heart into pop art with pizzazz! Make several for unique greeting cards or a wall display.
- Students recognize the work of important 20th-century artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Keith Haring.
- Students grasp the differences between realistic and abstract art forms.
- Students demonstrate an understanding of abstract art by producing a card with a contemporary look.
- Crayola<sup>®</sup> Glitter Glue
- Crayola<sup>®</sup> Colored Pencils
- Crayola<sup>®</sup> Glue Stick
- Crayola<sup>®</sup> Washable Markers
- Crayola<sup>®</sup> Washable Watercolors
- Crayola<sup>®</sup> Scissors
- School Smart Sponges
- Cup or Bottle
- Paper Towels
Discover famous abstract or pop artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Keith Haring. Find out what they did to ordinary things to give them a contemporary or abstract look. Sometimes they changed a shape or enlarged part of an object to make it look different or unique. You can use these techniques to design a unique pop art card or poster. Create a heart card for Valentine's Day or use any symbol you like for any holiday.
Cover your art area with newspaper. Using Crayola® Washable Paint and a Brush, cover one or two sheets of paper with red paint. Air-dry the paper.
Fold another piece of paper in half to make a card. To design the background, dab a wet sponge into Crayola® Washable Watercolors. Lightly tap the sponge on the paper for a marbleized look. Air-dry the card.
Use Crayola® Erasable Colored Pencils and your imagination to draw a large contemporary-looking heart on the painted paper. Cut out the heart and strips for your card's border with Crayola® Scissors. Cut out the center of the heart. Attach the heart and border strips to your card with Crayola® School Glue.
Cut out smaller contemporary-looking hearts from the painted paper or plain paper. Decorate them with Crayola® Fine Tip Markers. Accentuate the hearts with Crayola® Glitter Glue. Air-dry the hearts.
Glue hearts scattered around the card. Air-dry the glue.
Write a message on the outside and inside of your card.